Welcome back to Anatomy of A Dish, our long-lapsed series dedicated to dissecting Portland’s most delicious, multi-layered creations. This week, we sat down with Karen Pride and Brittney Galloway of Harlow, Hawthorne’s hottest health food haven, to get the scoop on their ever-evolving Betty Bowl.
This comforting macrobiotic bowl is fully customizable: diners can choose their grain (or no grains), their favorite sauce, and add-ons like avocado or eggs. Everything the restaurant is organic—which makes this chic spot a must-try to counteract the rest of December's indulgences.
1. A scoop of quinoa or rice...or neither! Harlow's kitchen sources grains from Eugene-based organic supplier Hummingbird Wholesale. We chose quinoa for our bowl—a protein-packed boost to any meal. What's that? You're Paleo? Ask to leave out the grains entirely, opting for more veggies and greens.
2. A dollop of daily beans: Galloway chooses the bean du jour by browsing the Hummingbird website for what’s available locally. One day you'll find chickpeas or great northern beans, another black beans or a savory serving of lentils. Pictured above? Black beans—prepared simply so the rest of the ingredients can shine.
3. Steamed organic kale, sourced from Portland-based Organically Grown Company, the largest wholesaler of organic produce in the Pacific Northwest. Depending on what looks best in the produce delivery, the kitchen will swap in rainbow chard, collard greens, or other lovely leaves.
4. A rainbow of roasted vegetables: Another seasonally-shifting add-in that changes according to what's available locally. The kitchen offers a blend of 5 or 6 veggies every day, which may include carrots, potatoes, sweet potatoes, broccoli, cauliflower, and mushrooms.
5. A dash of bright purple house-made kimchi made with red cabbage and apples for a dose of live, gut-friendly probiotics.
6. A mineral-packed medley of sea vegetables, including wakame, arame, dulse, or sea lettuce—all sourced from Earthly Gourmet, another Portland-based company.
7. A sprinkle of hemp seed and sesame seed confetti for a bit of crunch
8. Your choice of housemade sauces. We chose Harlow's signature raw garlic tahini sauce, made with raw tahini, garlic, lemon, salt, and apple cider vinegar—great for the digestive system. Other sauce options include lemon ginger, avocado cilantro cream, peanut, jalapeno cashew cream, or bourbon BBQ.
9. Optional addittions like a poached egg or avocado, to make this hearty bowl even heartier.
3632 SE Hawthorne Blvd.