Head to any movie theater this month and you’ll see plenty of holiday-themed new releases. That’s all well and good, but the holidays are a time for nostalgia! So we’ll tell you where and when to see the classic (or cult classic) holiday films you love on the big screen.
• Rifftrax Live: Santa Claus Conquers the Martians
December 5 at 8, Lloyd Center 10, $12.50
The comedic geniuses behind Mystery Science Theatre 3000 will be doing a special, one-night-only live broadcast of the beloved holiday B-movie Santa Claus Conquers the Martians (1964). Although they’re performing in Nashville, you can watch the broadcast in IMAX at the Lloyd Center 10 and at several other theatres in the Portland area.
• A Christmas Story and Silent Auction
December 8 at 2, Mission Theatre, $5
Break out your fluffy pink bunny suits for a screening of the holiday classic A Christmas Story (1983). While you’re there, participate in a silent auction hosted by local nonprofit Dinner & A Movie. All proceeds benefit impoverished families and homeless youth.
• Jingle All the Way in Hecklevision
December 7 at 7:30, Hollywood Theatre, $8
Why would anyone want to watch this bizarre holiday slapstick from 1996, starring Arnold Schwartzenegger as a father trying to buy his son's love on Christmas? To make fun of it, of course. Through the magic of technology, the audience (and some celebrity hecklers) can share their snarkiest comments right up on the screen. Get your texting thumbs ready, folks.
OTHER FESTIVE FLICKS
• December 6: Edward Scissorhands (1990) at the Hollywood Theatre
• December 7: Animated Christmas, a collection of rare 16mm and VHS Christmas cartoons, at the Hollywood Theatre
• December 7: Scarecrow Video presents VHSXMAS Vol. 1, a collection of rare Chrismas footage on vintage VHS, at the Hollywood Theatre
• December 13-19: Die Hard (1988) at the Laurelhurst Theater
• December 13-19: The Muppet Christmas Carol (1992) at the Hollywood Theatre
• December 14-15: Specticast presents The Nutcracker at the Clinton Street Theater
• December 17: Fangoria presents Silent Night Deadly Night (1984) at the Hollywood Theatre
• December 20: Die Hard (1988) at the Hollywood Theatre
• December 20-25: It's a Wonderful Life (1946) at the Hollywood Theatre
• December 21: Christmas in Space, a double feature of sci-fi/holiday TV specials from 1978, at the Hollywood Theatre