Portland Monthly is seeking smart, energetic, talented people to fill the positions below. See what it takes to join our team.
SALES AND MARKETING INTERN
Portland Monthly Magazine is currently seeking a bright and motivated sales and marketing intern to assist in our fast-paced and energetic advertising department. The position requires a minimum of 15 hours a week in four- to five-hour stints. The duration of this unpaid internship is generally 12 to 16 weeks, depending on the needs/schedule of the candidate. We are flexible with student schedules during the academic year, and the internship can be used to fulfill school credit.
ADVERTISING SALES RESPONSIBILITIES MAY INCLUDE:
• Media tracking
• Creating, updating and assembling sales materials
• Assisting account executives with various projects
• Compiling and managing advertising databases
• Marketing collateral distribution
• Assisting with sales/marketing events
• Assist marketing dept with the creation, execution and wrap-up of special projects
• Background, focus and/or interest in marketing and analysis
• Heightened ability to multi-task and prioritize
• Detail-oriented, responsible and self-motivated with excellent computer and communication skills
• Proficiency in Outlook, Word and Excel are mandatory.
The ideal candidate will be working toward a bachelor's degree in publishing, advertising, marketing/PR, business, or communications. Must have experience working with Word and Excel and be a master at multitasking, experience with Adobe creative suite, a plus.
We accept applications on a rolling basis for all terms (winter, spring, summer, fall).To apply, please send a resume and cover letter to Molly Johnson.
No phone calls please.
EVENT MARKETING INTERNS
Portland Monthly is seeking interns to gain event marketing experience including event production and promotion.
Applicants must be energetic, dependable, outgoing and possess strong communication and computer skills. We train, but expect our interns to hit the ground running.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE WOULD:
• Have a background, focus and/or interest in advertising, marketing or communications.
• Have heightened ability to multi-task and prioritize.
• Be detail-oriented, responsible and self-motivated with excellent computer and communication skills.
• Proficiency in Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint are mandatory.
• Assist in planning, coordination and execution of client campaigns including social media marketing and contests
• Assist in the planning, execution and management of marketing/events
• Assist in inquiries (phone, email, mail, in-person at events) and responses
• Research and analyze the current media market and areas for potential growth
• Update client advertising details and information
• Assist Account Executives with presentations, meeting preparation, and creation of sales materials.
Must be able to lift up to 30+lbs. Must posses a valid driver’s license and be authorized to work in the U.S. for any company.
This is an unpaid position with college credit opportunities that requires a commitment of a minimum of 20 hours per week. Due to the nature of events, some weekend and evening hours are required.
Please send a cover letter and resume via email to:
No phone calls please.
We hire editorial interns on a rotating basis throughout the year, and are constantly on the hunt for bright, diligent and ambitious applicants.
The internship is unpaid, but we offer college credit to enrolled students who request it. While we try to be flexible with student schedules during the academic year, the internship requires a firm commitment of 20 hours per week, 5 days a week. Typically, internships last four months.
We train, but expect our interns to hit the ground running. Duties include fact-checking articles, assisting editors with research and reporting, and writing web stories and short print pieces. We expect and encourage interns to be a part of the team by contributing their own ideas, attending meetings, and getting to know the editorial staff.
Successful candidates will be detail-oriented, responsible, well-read, curious, and knowledgeable about the city. We prefer journalism, communications, English, and history students, particularly those who are active with campus publications and are interested in a career in journalism. You do not need to be a current student to apply, but we can offer college credit.
Start and end dates vary with the needs and flexibility of the magazine, but generally we hire new interns for three seasonal terms (May–August, September–December, and January–April). Please note in your cover letter for which term you are applying and your availability to work during the week.
To apply, send the cover letter, a résumé with references, and three (3) excellent writing samples to:
Ramona DeNies, Assistant Editor
No phone calls, please.