Portland Monthly is seeking smart, energetic, talented candidates to fill the positions below.
SagaCity Media is searching for a dynamic, talented individual with a strong digital, print and event sales leadership background for the role of Advertising Director of its flagship title – Portland Monthly.
Manage and Coach Sales Team
- Work with Account Executives on a daily basis, responding to questions on accounts, advertising programs, rates, packages, etc.
- Monitor accounts that need to be called on, send leads/ideas for pitches to Account Executives.
- Monitor pipeline forecasting for reps, and coach on deficits/areas for improvement.
- Create agenda for sales meetings and bring timely/relevant information to attention of sales team.
- Ensure correct usage of systems including Power Hour, Magazine Manager, Power BI and other sales applications as needed.
- Plan and schedule sales team training on new products.
- Monitor budgets for projects and respond to management requests for sales projections.
- Work with publisher to create ideas for new sections, new sales opportunities in order to meet budgets.
- Work with Sales Coordinator and Marketing Manager to manage a workflow that creates materials for the sales team: sales sheets, updates to media kits, and larger client proposals.
- Sell print, digital, and event ideas.
- Five+ Years of successful Advertising sales experience
- Three+ Years of Digital or Online Advertising sales experience
- Two+ Years of supervisory/leadership experience
- Bachelor’s degree
- Must possess excellent verbal and written communications skills
- Ability to multi-task and work in a fast-paced team environment
- Must be detail-oriented and set high standards for accuracy
- Must have demonstrated experience with Microsoft Office Suite
- Strong interpersonal, organizational, analytical, decision-making, and problem-solving skills required
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality of all employee and company information
To apply, please submit resume and cover letter with “Portland Monthly – Advertising Director” in the subject line to Patricia Varga at email@example.com
DIRECTOR OF INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY
SagaCity Media Inc. is the parent company of the preeminent lifestyle media brands in Houston, Seattle, Portland, Sarasota, Aspen, Vail, and Park City. In their respective markets, Houstonia, Seattle Met, Portland Monthly, and Sarasota Magazine produce the largest-selling magazines, most-visited local lifestyle websites, and industry-dominating numbers of engaged social media followers. SagaCity also proudly produces web content and publications elsewhere, many of them award-winning, for conventions and visitors’ bureaus or lodging associations in such markets as Portland, Seattle, Aspen, Washington state, Eastern Oregon, Bellevue, Tacoma, Galveston, Aurora, Eugene and Vancouver.
The Director of Information Technology will oversee the operations of the IT department, and ensure that it aligns with the organization's objectives by strategizing, designing, and implementing new technology to keep up with this growing organization. This is a management position that also requires hands-on operations support.
The ideal candidate will be a high‐performing strategic thinker, able to partner with the organization’s senior management staff to assess and execute their needs, and possess the following skills and experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree in related field
- Minimum of 5 years’ management experience in the IT field
- Working knowledge of cloud platforms
- Must have experience with gathering requirements based on non-IT infrastructure business needs and finding & implementing the right technology to meet those needs
- Excellent writing, documentation, and communication skills
- Blend of strong leadership skills and hands on technical skills
- Extremely strong Project Management and Time Management skills
- Preferred but not required – Experience and knowledge of SQL server, SQL queries, .net, BI tools
- Strong interpersonal, organizational, analytical, decision-making, and problem-solving skills required.
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality of all employee and company information.
- Lead the strategy for technology platforms and partnerships & implement the organization's IT roadmap
- Lead an IT team that manages proactive strategies, and “helpdesk” items for multiple offices across the country.
- Explore technology trends and recommend information technology strategies for business processes by evaluating organization outcomes, identifying problems, and anticipating requirements
- Direct day-to-day operations and maintenance of the client's technology systems including all IT related hardware, software, networks, VOIP telephony systems, and printers
- Establish security measures for servers and work stations
- Plan, coordinate, and manage daily operational activities and provide support to internal and external business partners
- Upgrade network by conferring with vendors; develop, test, evaluate, and install enhancements
- Own IT infrastructure related policies and procedures aligned with SagaCity Media’s business requirements, as well as regulatory requirements.
- Manage back up (on-site and off-site) and organization of all programs, files, and folders
- Assist employees in solving their computer-related and networking issues
- Meet financial requirements by submitting information for budgets; monitor expenses; plan budgets for future periods
- Update job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities; read professional publications; maintain personal networks; participate in professional organizations; stay abreast of emerging innovations
- Keep accurate inventory of all computers, phones and other IT equipment and assignment log of such equipment
- Create an employee IT user manual to ensure that all employees have training material available for their basic IT requests.
- Leverage analytical data to make decisions regarding IT strategies
- All other duties as assigned
DESIRED SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Expert understanding of server and network technologies, protocols, and tools.
- Expert understanding of PC and Mac Support
- Expert knowledge of firewalls, network switches
- Expert knowledge of PC setup and management.
- Have thorough knowledge of TCP/IP protocols and be able to troubleshoot connectivity issues.
- Thorough knowledge of DNS, SSL certificate, Cookies, HTTP protocol issues.
- Experience in development and maintenance of standards, procedures, and other documentation that support management of network and information security.
- Requires strong interpersonal, communication (written and oral), and time management skills.
- Must be self-motivated, possess a strong level of initiative and have ability to achieve results with minimal guidance.
- Ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment.
- Experience working in a team-oriented, collaborative environment.
- Willingness to travel to other offices as required
For consideration, please email your resume, list of potential references and a cover letter with relevant experience to: firstname.lastname@example.org
JUNIOR DESIGN INTERN
Portland Monthly magazine is seeking a creative and ambitious individual for a six-month paid internship in our art department. The position will work closely with the Art Director, Associate Art Director, and editorial staff to collaboratively create both print and digital versions of the magazine and its subsidiary products. The ideal candidate will be a motivated self-starter who is extremely interested in print and digital publications, particularly magazines. High attention to detail is required, along with the ability to work on multiple projects at the same time. Digital content creation experience is a must. (NOTE: This is a part-time, six-month internship, paid on an hourly basis. We will create a schedule that works for the right candidate, but we do require consistent availability to complete the required projects each month.)
- Convert and optimize each issue of the magazine for a variety of digital platforms (iPhone, iPad, etc) using Adobe DPS
- Maintain a set of best practices for DPS, and consult with other publications at Sagacity regarding DPS
- Conceptualize and design magazine pages, with an emphasis on department pages
- Assist as needed with photo shoots, photo research, prop gathering, and other tasks
- Assist with administrative duties for the art department as needed
- Occasionally assist other Sagacity properties in a design capacity, from marketing to custom publications
DESIRED SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Strong skills in Adobe DPS and Creative Suite
- Strong design and typographic skills
- Precise attention to detail and the ability to work on tight deadlines
- Interest in exploring new directions for magazine media
- Proficiency prepping pages and artwork: flowing copy, tightening layouts
- Experience in brainstorming/conceptualizing ideas for visual storytelling
- Photography and/or illustration chops are a plus, as well as on-set photo experience
Send a cover letter, resume, and a link to an online portfolio if available to email@example.com with “Junior Design Intern” in the subject line. No phone calls, please.
MARKETING & EVENTS GRAPHIC DESIGN INTERN
Portland Monthly, the city’s award-winning regional magazine, and SagaCity Media are currently seeking a bright and motivated marketing design intern to assist in the Marketing & Events department. This internship will begin in September and last 12 to 16 weeks depending on the needs/schedule of the candidate. Weekly schedule is flexible to accommodate student academic schedules. 20 hours per week preferred.
- Print designs (including internal event posters, flyers, certificates, signage, and promotion)
- Web content designs (including web ads, e-blasts, and various graphics)
- Updating existing design files with new text and images
- Updating and creating dynamic proposals templates and tools for business to business outreach
- Research for design projects, including collecting photos, graphics and font files
As an intern you will be guided by our Marketing Designer, on how to design and correctly set up various files for print. You will also build files for the web, but you will be trained on how to do this so your web design skills can be minimal. You will learn how to manage and organize files on our server and work with our Production team assisting with various design projects.
This internship will give you experience working on a variety of design projects, and will challenge you to try different techniques and styles. You will leave the internship with more projects for you portfolio, along with the design skills to work in a fast paced environment.
The ideal candidate will be working toward a bachelor’s degree in Graphic Design, and have already been through portfolio review. Must have a website or PDF portfolio submitted for consideration. Must have experience working with Adobe InDesign, Photoshop and Illustrator. Clear communication, exceptional organization skills – in regards to file management – and a strong attention to detail are required.
Please submit a resume with a cover letter to:
Include Marketing Design Internship in subject line.
No phone calls, please. We will contact you if your skills and experience seem to be a good fit for our team.
EVENT MARKETING INTERNS
Portland Monthly is seeking interns to gain event marketing experience including event production and promotion. Applicants must be energetic, dependable, outgoing and possess strong communication and computer skills. We train, but expect our interns to hit the ground running.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE WOULD:
• Have a background, focus and/or interest in advertising, marketing or communications.
• Have heightened ability to multi-task and prioritize.
• Be detail-oriented, responsible and self-motivated with excellent computer and communication skills.
• Proficiency in Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint are mandatory.
• Assist in planning, coordination and execution of client campaigns including social media marketing and contests
• Assist in the planning, execution and management of marketing/events
• Assist in inquiries (phone, email, mail, in-person at events) and responses
• Research and analyze the current media market and areas for potential growth
• Update client advertising details and information
• Assist Account Executives with presentations, meeting preparation, and creation of sales materials.
Must be able to lift up to 30+lbs. Must posses a valid driver’s license and be authorized to work in the U.S. for any company. This is an unpaid position with college credit opportunities that requires a commitment of a minimum of 20 hours per week. Due to the nature of events, some weekend and evening hours are required.
TO APPLY: Please send a cover letter and resume via email to: Rachel Ratner, Marketing & Events Manager
No phone calls please.
PDXMonthly.com ACCOUNT EXECUTIVE (Digital)
Portland Monthly, the city’s award-winning magazine published by SagaCity Media, is seeking a full-time Digital Account Executive. Qualified candidates should possess a fluent understanding of digital media platforms and digital advertising options. If digital sales motivate everything you do—the conversations you have, the content you consume and the solutions you share—then this is the job for you.
- Drive digital ad revenue through daily prospecting for new accounts, leads and sales
- Develop and deliver on new digital opportunities to generate revenue to achieve company goals
- Build relationships within locally-based tech and gaming industry for potential partnership opportunities
- Work collaboratively with sales team to present cross-platform (print & digital) proposals
- Execute creative ideas that reflect our brand standards and audience
- Build and maintain strong relationships in the local business communities – participating in industry events
- Stay up-to-date on digital tech news and trends – and share information with sales managers and team
- Maintain designated hours of each day to cold calling
- Manage all steps in the sales process from prospect identification through deal closing and campaign execution
- Maintain all account tracking activity in Magazine Manager (database)
- Deliver timely reporting and updates to management on revenue tracking to goal
- Minimum of two year’s sales experience
- Minimum of one year’s digital ad sales experience
- Highly responsible, collaborative, and self-motivated
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills, work ethic, and sense of humor
- Comfortable in a fast-paced, deadline driven environment and flexible to shifting priorities
- Bachelor’s degree
Commissioned sales with unlimited earning potential; SagaCity benefits include generous medical and dental insurance, 401k match, paid holidays, and personal days.
Send your single-page resume, a personalized cover letter highlighting your applicable experience to firstname.lastname@example.org