Portland Monthly is seeking smart, energetic, talented people to fill the positions below. See what it takes to join our team.
Sales and Marketing Intern
Event Marketing Intern
Portland Monthly magazine is seeking an experienced, strategic, innovative, and results-oriented Sales Manager to build and lead a converged media sales organization. This special opportunity is for the candidate who is a high-achieving sales leader with a keen understanding of digital and print advertising platforms. The Sales Manager must be able to embrace and communicate a sales vision that inspires and motivates others. The Sales Manager will help create and lead sales strategy to uncover and develop market opportunities for revenue, through acquisition, retention, and consultative selling concepts. A strong understanding of audience-based selling is critical. Experience in developing and executing sales strategies across multiple platforms—including digital solutions considering display, search, mobile, e-mail, online directories, and video, as well as the core print magazine and niche publications and products—is vital. We offer a highly competitive base salary, commensurate with experience, and opportunities for additional commissions. If you are looking for a work experience that provides inspiration, creativity, and a locally invested staff with an eye towards innovation and growth, apply for this job.
Leadership & Strategy: Responsible for building and leading the company's sales organization.
- Direct, oversee, strategize, and lead the Sales team.
- Work in conjunction with Publisher to manage a strategic planning process to achieve revenue budgets by product type, and develop new revenue opportunities.
- Generate strategic and tactical recommendations of multimedia bundled products/offerings to use as pre-Sales “templates” (e.g., solutions presentations, proposals, demo scripts, business cases).
- Design and manage all aspects of sales compensation plan for sales team (commission structures, bonuses, contests, etc.).
- Work with Publisher and Marketing Director on various aspects of digital revenue operations including new event, special advertising sections and program development, advertising rates, bundling strategies; supervise the selling, planning, and analyzing of advertising programs.
Goals and Quotas: Yearly and monthly goals will be set in coordination with the Publisher. Sales Manager should, at a minimum, meet their monthly and yearly quotas, and should strive to exceed them.
Relationship Development: Work with Publisher to cultivate relationships with existing key advertisers, partners, and ad agencies to help grow revenue.
Sales Management Process: Responsible for developing and overseeing the implementation, management and adoption of Magazine Manager. Work weekly with advertising executives to maintain revenue pacing.
Recruiting / Hiring / Training & Development / Retention:
- Determine short term and long term goals that inspire the sales team to succeed.
- Develop, execute and enforce the Magazine Manager minimum activity levels to build a pipeline of business and closed contracts.
- Support operations with sales tools, tactics, data, and process.
- Establish and report on sales metrics, forecast/commits, churns, and other key sales metrics.
- Manage the process of the sales pipeline and revenue forecast in Magazine Manager to ensure accurate recording of prospecting activity, conversion success, and active sales opportunities at each stage of the sales process as well as future new business revenue.
- Manage the process of delegating accounts/territories and new business leads to sales staff.
- Ensure that CRM is updated with customer segmentation data to be used for e-mail prospecting and marketing campaigns.
- Manage administrative responsibilities such as filling out RFP's in a timely and accurate manner, tracking contracts and sales, following through on contract expirations, and performing other related duties as assigned.
Responsible for recruiting, hiring, training, and retaining a team of top performing sales professionals.
Portland Monthly is an award-winning publication dedicated to the highest standards in editorial and design, based in one of the nation’s most desirable places to live. Portland Monthly has been the top-selling magazine in the greater Portland metropolitan area, having won many awards including General Excellence from the City and Regional Magazine Association, Folio, Communication Arts, and multiple Society of Professional Journalists awards. Portland Monthly is published by Sagacity Media Inc., which also publishes Portland Bride & Groom, Seattle Metropolitan, Seattle Met Bride and Groom, and more.
Please submit cover letter and resume to:
No phone calls please.
SALES AND MARKETING INTERN
Portland Monthly Magazine is currently seeking a bright and motivated sales and marketing intern to assist in our fast-paced and energetic advertising department. The position requires a minimum of 15 hours a week in four- to five-hour stints. The duration of this unpaid internship is generally 12 to 16 weeks, depending on the needs/schedule of the candidate. We are flexible with student schedules during the academic year, and the internship can be used to fulfill school credit.
ADVERTISING SALES RESPONSIBILITIES MAY INCLUDE:
• Media tracking
• Creating, updating and assembling sales materials
• Assisting account executives with various projects
• Compiling and managing advertising databases
• Marketing collateral distribution
• Assisting with sales/marketing events
• Assist marketing dept with the creation, execution and wrap-up of special projects
• Background, focus and/or interest in marketing and analysis
• Heightened ability to multi-task and prioritize
• Detail-oriented, responsible and self-motivated with excellent computer and communication skills
• Proficiency in Outlook, Word and Excel are mandatory.
The ideal candidate will be working toward a bachelor's degree in publishing, advertising, marketing/PR, business, or communications. Must have experience working with Word and Excel and be a master at multitasking, experience with Adobe creative suite, a plus.
We accept applications on a rolling basis for all terms (winter, spring, summer, fall).To apply, please send a resume and cover letter to Molly Johnson.
No phone calls please.
Portland Monthly is seeking interns to gain event marketing experience including event production and promotion.
Applicants must be energetic, dependable, outgoing and possess strong communication and computer skills. We train, but expect our interns to hit the ground running.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE WOULD:
• Have a background, focus and/or interest in advertising, marketing or communications.
• Have heightened ability to multi-task and prioritize.
• Be detail-oriented, responsible and self-motivated with excellent computer and communication skills.
• Proficiency in Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint are mandatory.
• Assist in planning, coordination and execution of client campaigns including social media marketing and contests
• Assist in the planning, execution and management of marketing/events
• Assist in inquiries (phone, email, mail, in-person at events) and responses
• Research and analyze the current media market and areas for potential growth
• Update client advertising details and information
• Assist Account Executives with presentations, meeting preparation, and creation of sales materials.
Must be able to lift up to 30+lbs. Must posses a valid driver’s license and be authorized to work in the U.S. for any company.
This is an unpaid position with college credit opportunities that requires a commitment of a minimum of 20 hours per week. Due to the nature of events, some weekend and evening hours are required.
Please send a cover letter and resume via email to:
Emily Wyant, Marketing Events Manager
No phone calls please.
We hire editorial interns on a rotating basis throughout the year, and are constantly on the hunt for bright, diligent and ambitious applicants.
The internship is unpaid, but we offer college credit to enrolled students who request it. While we try to be flexible with student schedules during the academic year, the internship requires a firm commitment of 20 hours per week, 5 days a week. Typically, internships last four months.
We train, but expect our interns to hit the ground running. Duties include fact-checking articles, assisting editors with research and reporting, and writing web stories and short print pieces. We expect and encourage interns to be a part of the team by contributing their own ideas, attending meetings, and getting to know the editorial staff.
Successful candidates will be detail-oriented, responsible, well-read, curious, and knowledgeable about the city. We prefer journalism, communications, English, and history students, particularly those who are active with campus publications and are interested in a career in journalism. You do not need to be a current student to apply, but we can offer college credit.
Start and end dates vary with the needs and flexibility of the magazine, but generally we hire new interns for three seasonal terms (May–August, September–December, and January–April). Please note in your cover letter for which term you are applying and your availability to work during the week.
To apply, send the cover letter, a résumé with references, and three (3) excellent writing samples to:
Ramona DeNies, Assistant Editor
No phone calls, please.