The Heathman Restaurant and Bar’s Jeff Groh’s special sangria
2/3 cup superfine sugar
3 to 4 oz. brandy or cognac
1 bottle inexpensive Spanish red wine such as Panarroz Jumilla Red.
1 botle Cava (Segura Viudas is a good producer)
(1) Squeeze the juice from the lime, lemon, and orange into a large pitcher, and add zest from half the orange and half the lemon.
(2) Cut peaches into thin slices and add them to the pitcher, along with sugar.
(3) Pour in brandy or cognac and bottle of Spanish red wine.
(4) Chill for at least a half hour along with bottle of Cava .
(5) Fill wine glasses with ice and add sangria until it measures 2 fingers from the top of the glass.
(6) Top off with Cava and garnish with an orange or peach slice.