Maybe you’re taking a spin through Hell’s Canyon. Maybe you’re rafting the Deschutes. Maybe you’ve taken it upon yourself to see the Seven Wonders of Oregon. Or visit the newly restored historical lighthouses along the coast.
Wherever the road takes you, you know that Oregon has your back. Whether your road trip is all about the food, or gourmet sustenance takes a back seat to family fun, there are plenty of places to eat around the state where you can feel happy knowing that you're not only getting a delicious meal, but also effecting positive change for the environment.
These road food destinations—suggested by the Oregon Environmental Council—know that sustainability is important to Oregon, so they’ve made it a priority. Whether that’s working with farmers to get fresh, local produce, meats, and cheeses, growing their own food, reducing their waste by recycling and composting, keeping their menus seasonal to reduce food travel, supporting non-profits that promote sustainable agricultural practices, or even building their restaurants from salvaged, recycled materials, these eateries are worthy of keeping your road trip fueled.
- Devore’s Good Food Store: 541-389-6588. Fresh, local ingredients. Seasonal menu. Meats and eggs come from local farms.
- 900 Wall: 541-323-6295. Responsibly-sourced food. Local produce, meat, dairy from Good Earth Farms, Juniper Grove Cheese, and Draper Valley Farms.
- Strictly Organic Coffee: 541-330-6061. Committed to responsibly-grown coffee. USDA certified organic coffee. Fair trade, organic milks. Recycling, composting. They also deliver coffee orders by bike.
- Nearly Normals: 541-753-0791. Fresh, seasonal, organic produce whenever possible.
- Bombs Away Cafe: 541-757-7221. Local ingredients and local microbrews, southwestern dishes. Many vegetarian options.
- Purple Moon Organic Espresso & Juice: 541-760-1517. Supports local farmers like Wilt Farms organic blueberries and wheatgrass from Spectrum Light Organic. Committed to reducing and reusing. Fair trade.
- Les Caves Bier & Kitchen: 541-286-4473. Farm-fresh food, from local and regional places, seasonal menus.
Skyline Grill Food Cart: 541-993-9237. Organic, natural ingredients whenever possible.
- Baker City—Bella’s Market: 541-523-7490 Local, grass-fed beef. Local produce, organic fruit from Eagle Creek Orchards.
- Enterprise—Terminal Gravity Brewery & Pub: 541-426-3000 Fresh, local produce and meat from Wallowa co. farms and ranches. Microbrews incorporate local malts.
- Heppner—Willow Creek Diner & Bakery: 541-676-5023. Fresh produce from their own garden. Many vegetarian options.
- Hermiston—Walker’s Farm Kitchen: 541-289-3333. Local ingredients and microbrews.
- La Grande—Mamacita’s: 541-963-6223. Local, seasonal ingredients. Grass-fed beef.
- La Grande—Ten Depot Street: 541-963-8766 Locally sourced ingredients and wines.
- Lostine—Lostine Tavern: 541-569-2264 Farm-to-table, local grass-fed beef,
- Sixth Street Bistro & Loft: 541-386-5737 Fresh, local ingredients from Carlton Farms, Zion Farms, and Hood River Organic.
- Celilo Restaurant & Bar: 541-386-5710 Local, fresh, seasonal food. They are committed to recycling, composting, and reusing oil for bio-fuel.
- Nora’s Table: 541-387-4000 Fresh, local ingredients. Exclusively Columbia Gorge wines. Mountain Shadow Natural Meats in Dufur, Oregon provides most meat (no hormones).
- River Daze Cafe: 541-308-0246 Seasonal menu, with veggies grown on their own farm. Non-GMO, hormone- and additive-free. Supports small, local companies.
- Local Ocean Seafoods: 541-574-7959 Local, sustainable seafood. Support sustainable fishing practices, as well as supporting non-profits that work on sustainable fishing practices.
- Cafe Mundo: 541-574-8134 Local, sustainable food. Seasonal menu. Restaurant built from salvaged lumber. Committed to recycling and composting.
- OceanBleu @ Gin’s Fish Market & Cafe: 541-265-2424 Mostly wild, locally-caught seafood. Certified sustainable.
- Sleepy Monk Coffee Roasters: 503-436-2796 Organic coffee, locally roasted.
- Irish Table Restaurant: 503-436-0708 Local, seasonal, fresh NW ingredients. Local wines. Built sustainably with recycled materials.
Lincoln City—Blackfish Cafe: 541-996-1007 Fresh, local seafood and produce; seasonal fruits and veggies.
- Bridgewater Bistro: 503-325-6777 Fresh, regional food and beverages.
- Clemente’s: 503-325-1067 Local farm food, wild, fresh fish. They also use locally-made, hand-crafted artisanal mugs and compostable “to go” containers. Committed to reusing oil for biofuel.
- Cafe C’est La Vie: 541-764-2828 Local, seasonal food. Fresh ingredients.
- Restaurant Beck: 541-765-3220 Fresh ingredients sourced from local farms and fisheries.
Bandon—Alloro Wine Bar & Restaurant: 541-347-1850 Fresh local and regional ingredients (seafood, meat, and veggies) to create Italian-style dishes.
Seaside—Norma’s Seafood & Steak: 503-738-4331 Fresh, organic and hormone-free ingredients. Committed to sustainable fishing practices.
Tillamook—Pacific Restaurant: 503-354-2350 Fresh, local ingredients.
Rogue Valley (and Beyond)
- Amuse Restaurant: 541-488-9000 French and NW cuisine, using organic, seasonal meat & produce.
- Wiley’s World Pasta Shoppe & Eatery: 541-488-0285 Fresh, local, organic ingredients. Pasta made from local wheat, everything from scratch daily.
- Lark’s Home Kitchen Cuisine: (also in Medford) 541-488-5558 Committed to using fresh, local ingredients from farmers they know. They also feature Oregon artisans.
- Noble Coffeehouse & Roastery: 541-488-3288 Organic, fair trade coffee. Freshly roasted locally.
Central Point—Rogue Creamery: 541-665-1155 Grass-fed, GMO-free. Sustainable dairies, committed to recycling, composting, reusing 100% of whey.
Jacksonville—Jacksonville Inn: 541-899-1900 Fresh produce, grown on premises. Mostly organic.
- Rafns’ Grocery: 503-580-2936 Local grocery items. Supports and works with small local growers.
- The Blue Goat: (Amity) 503-835-5170 Local produce, eggs, meats, cheese. Supports sustainable farms.
- Old Oak Oven: (Silverton) 971-599-1740 Handcrafted pizza made with fresh, local ingredients from sustainable farms.
- Allann Bros Beanery Cafe: Supports local vendors, organic coffee, fair trade.
- Burgerville: Local and regional food sourcing, food from farms with sustainable practices
- Chipotle: Sustainable meat, organic and local produce whenever possible. Uses energy from solar panels.
- McMenamin’s: Fresh, local ingredients, wine, and beers. Committed to recycling, composting, using eco-friendly cleaning products.