“Artisan” pretty well sums up Oregon’s food scene. So it’s no surprise that at the 2016 Good Food Awards, an annual ceremony celebrating the most delicious, sustainable makers and growers in the country, our state took home 23 awards in all but one category (c’mon, Oregon chocolatiers!). The sixth annual festival received 1,937 product entries—33 percent more than ever before—in categories from charcuterie to cider. Oregon earned more accolades than any other state except California. Read on to learn about the winners:
- In the beer category, last year's winner Ninkasi Brewing Company took home the prize for its Dawn of the Red India Pale Ale.
- The cured meat kings at Olympia Provisions (and authors of one of America’s best charcuterie cookbooks) won an award for Rigani Loukaniko, a large, Greek-style salami.
- Oregon swept the cheese category with awards for Ancient Heritage Dairy, Goldin Artisan Goat Cheese, and Rogue Creamery.
- In the brand new cider category, Wild Perry Cider from Oregon's Art + Science.
- Coffee kudos was given to Abundancia Kenyan Coffee’s Kenya AA Blue Mt.
- A double dose of recognition was awarded in the confections category for Batch PDX’s Batch Bar & Twicks Bar as well as Bees & Bean’s Honey Bar Reserve.
- Bee Girl’s Bee Girl Honey and Bee Local’s Bee Local Sauvie Honey took home sweet awards—the first for Oregon in the honey category.
- In the oil category, Hummingbird Wholesale was lauded for its Organic Pumpkin Seed Oil.
- Blackberry Vinegar from Hoskins Berry Farm and two spicy sauces from NW Elixirs Hot Sauce Co.—NW Elixirs #3 Hott Smoke and NW Elixirs #2 Verde Hott—took home accolades in the pantry category.
- Pickled perfection was recognized in Choi’s Kimchi Company for its White Napa Kimchi and Napa Kimchi, as well as in Republic of Jam’s Pickled Peaches.
- In the preserves category, Kelly’s Jelly was once again celebrated for Kelly’s Habañero Pepper Jelly while Hope Farms took home an award for their Premium Spiced Marionberry Fruit Spread.
- Flavored with violets and fresh citrus, Elixir’s Iris Liqueur was awarded in the spirits category.
To check out the rest of the winners, head over to the Good Food Awards website.