Portland Monthly is seeking smart, energetic, talented people to fill the positions below. See what it takes to join our team.
MARKETING & EVENTS GRAPHIC DESIGN INTERN
Portland Monthly, the city’s award-winning regional magazine, and SagaCity Media are currently seeking a bright and motivated marketing design intern to assist in the Marketing & Events department. This internship will begin in September and last 12 to 16 weeks depending on the needs/schedule of the candidate. Weekly schedule is flexible to accommodate student academic schedules. 20 hours per week preferred.
- Print designs (including internal event posters, flyers, certificates, signage, and promotion)
- Web content designs (including web ads, e-blasts, and various graphics)
- Updating existing design files with new text and images
- Updating and creating dynamic proposals templates and tools for business to business outreach
- Research for design projects, including collecting photos, graphics and font files
As an intern you will be guided by our Marketing Designer, on how to design and correctly set up various files for print. You will also build files for the web, but you will be trained on how to do this so your web design skills can be minimal. You will learn how to manage and organize files on our server and work with our Production team assisting with various design projects.
This internship will give you experience working on a variety of design projects, and will challenge you to try different techniques and styles. You will leave the internship with more projects for your portfolio, along with the design skills to work in a fast paced environment.
The ideal candidate will be working toward a bachelor’s degree in Graphic Design, and have already been through portfolio review. Must have a website or PDF portfolio submitted for consideration. Must have experience working with Adobe InDesign, Photoshop and Illustrator. Clear communication, exceptional organization skills – in regards to file management – and a strong attention to detail are required.
Please submit a resume with a cover letter to Sara King at firstname.lastname@example.org. Include "Marketing Design Internship" in subject line. No phone calls, please. We will contact you if your skills and experience seem to be a good fit for our team.
EVENT MARKETING INTERNS
Portland Monthly is seeking interns to gain event marketing experience including event production and promotion. Applicants must be energetic, dependable, outgoing and possess strong communication and computer skills. We train, but expect our interns to hit the ground running.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE WOULD
• Have a background, focus and/or interest in advertising, marketing or communications.
• Have heightened ability to multi-task and prioritize.
• Be detail-oriented, responsible and self-motivated with excellent computer and communication skills.
• Proficiency in Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint are mandatory.
• Assist in planning, coordination and execution of client campaigns including social media marketing and contests
• Assist in the planning, execution and management of marketing/events
• Assist in inquiries (phone, email, mail, in-person at events) and responses
• Research and analyze the current media market and areas for potential growth
• Update client advertising details and information
• Assist Account Executives with presentations, meeting preparation, and creation of sales materials.
Must be able to lift up to 30+lbs. Must posses a valid driver’s license and be authorized to work in the U.S. for any company. This is an unpaid position with college credit opportunities that requires a commitment of a minimum of 20 hours per week. Due to the nature of events, some weekend and evening hours are required.
TO APPLY: Please send a cover letter and resume via email to Polly Zel, Marketing & Events Manager. No phone calls please.
We hire editorial interns on a rotating basis throughout the year, and are constantly on the hunt for bright, diligent, and ambitious applicants.
The internship is unpaid, but we offer college credit to enrolled students who request it. While we try to be flexible with work schedules and/or student schedules during the academic year, the internship requires a firm commitment of 20 hours per week, 5 days a week.
We hire editorial interns for three seasonal four-month terms: May–August, September–December, and January–April. Please note in your cover letter for which term you are applying and your availability to work during the week. We prefer candidates who are able to commit to a regular schedule, either morning (9 am–1 pm) or afternoon (1–5 pm).
We train, but expect our interns to hit the ground running. Duties include fact-checking articles, assisting editors with research and reporting, and writing web stories and short print pieces. Fact-checking is our interns' primary task, but writing a close second. Typically, our editorial interns leave with a clip portfolio of around 10–20 digital stories and 1–3 print stories.
We build additional education opportunities into our internship program, offering monthly roundtables with editorial staff on topics ranging from pitching skills to copyediting. We expect and encourage interns to be a part of the team by contributing their own ideas, attending meetings, and getting to know the editorial staff.
Successful candidates will be detail-oriented, responsible, well-read, curious, and knowledgeable about the city. We prefer journalism, communications, English, and history students, particularly those who are active with campus publications and are interested in a career in journalism. You do not need to be a current student to apply—we also welcome post-collegiate applicants—but we can work with colleges to arrange credit.
To apply, send the cover letter, a résumé with references, and three (3) excellent writing samples to:
Rebecca Jacobson, Arts Editor
No phone calls, please.