Spotify: Portland in Eight Playlists
What does Portland have in common with Uppsala, Sweden, and Salt Lake City? Both these towns—plus eight more—tend to listen to the same kind of music that we do (a sort of "dreamy organic indietronica") on Spotify.
Late last week, the music streaming giant announced the first of a new data-crunching series called "Sound of Cities." First up for Spotify: eight metrics for music-loving Portland, Oregon.
Among the finds: Portland's hot list (right) as of June 11, our sonic "sister cities," our distinct superlatives (songs only trending right here—like Kurt Vile's "Wakin' On a Pretty Day"), and the bands with deep Portland connections that get the most play elsewhere (props to Unknown Mortal Orchestra and Horse Feathers).
What else did Spotify learn about our happy little hamlet?
- We like guitars, lots of 'em, and much more, it seems, than the rest of the world;
- We get our dance on to Spoon's "I Turn My Camera On";
- Overall, our indie playlists sound like a "misty rainy place." (What's that again about climate determining culture?);
- Unless we're listening to pop music; then we like Fetty Wap and Major Lazer just like tweens everywhere across the universe; and
- If not for a technicality that places Modest Mouse in Issaquah, WA, they'd be the world's most popular Portland band on Spotify.
Click here for the full article. Let us know what's on your Spotify list! (And get in the mood with Spotify's cheat sheet of top songs, below, that dwell on our fair state.)