Portland Monthly's Top Magazine Stories of 2014
We've already glanced back at our most-viewed blog posts of 2014, so it's time to see which articles from our printed pages landed on top this year.
1. Portland’s Best Bars 2014: We sipped and rambled our way across the city in search of your favorite new bars: craft cocktail boîtes and slinky date spots, gussied-up pubs, mescal haunts, whiskey libraries, and Sriracha-spiced karaoke parties.
2. A Bigger Portland is On Its Way—And Here's What It Will Look Like: It's taller, shinier, pointier (or boxier), denser, busier, greener, and more ambitious (or, sometimes, just greedier). Get ready.
3. The Big One—A Northwest Earthquake Survival Guide: The Cascadia Subduction Quake is coming. How bad will it be? Bad. (Maybe the worst natural disaster in US history.) Can we prepare? YES!
4. Ultimate Summer Day Trips: The sun is shining and everybody seems to be smiling—it's time to make the most of Oregon's peak season with dozens of swimming holes, day hikes, picnic spots, and beach trips.
5. Portland's Hottest Neighborhoods—Where to Buy Now: Whether you’re a solo first-time buyer, you’ve expanded into a young family, or you’ve just sent your last kid packing to college, there’s a perfect place for you in Portland.
6. 50 Things Every Portlander Must Do This Winter: However you want to play it, Portland winter is a wonderland.
7. Portland's 10 Best Restaurants of 2014: Unrestaurants. Microcuisines. Ultra-personal food experiences. Welcome to the next frontier of Portland dining.
8. Plotting Portland's New Skyline: As they look to Portland’s future, urban planners see the city of someday—in this case, 2035.
9. 25 Sandwiches That Will Change Your Life: Why Portland stacks up as America's great new sandwich city
10. How to Devour Portland's Restaurant Scene in 7 Days: The ultimate food lover's challenge—a very full week-long tour of Portland's best restaurants. We dare you.