Our Fall Favorites From Schoolhouse Electric
Once upon a time, Schoolhouse Electric just made brass and glass light fixtures. No more: the Northwest Industrial-based dynamo has become an all-purpose source for eclectic home decor marked by a distinctive combination of retro rusticity and worldly sophistication. (A Portland aesthetic, one might say.)
As the brand's fall line debuted this autumn, we picked a few favorites from the catalogue and asked Schoolhouse merchandising director Sarah Culbertson for some insight on the stories behind their designs.
• The Tangled Chandelier "Inspired by the gigantic firefly fixtures in our Portland showroom, this chandelier can add a splash of color to a room with its various cord and metal color choices. The cords can be wrapped in various ways creating either a structured or more abstract look. It's a piece that is made in-house, and made to order to our customer's specifications."
• The "Work Hard and Be Nice To People" Print "This has become the motto around Schoolhouse- we even have it posted in our factory! We love the size and scale of the piece- perfect for any workspace."
• Walnut-Stripe Cutting Board "This is a custom collaboration with Dominik Woods Cutting Boards. We love the way the maple with walnut stripe adds interest to the piece—it's great for leaving on the counter, even when you're not using it."
• Leah Duncan’s Branch Sheet Set "One of our favorite artists! Leah's patterns are both sophisticated and whimsical. The branches sheet set can go bold- paired with another pattern or softer when paired with a solid blanket or duvet cover. The inky blue color pairs well a plethora of other colors- grey, yellow, red. It is a great non-basic…basic. Our sheets are made for us in Portugal- where we have found the perfect combination of wear-ability and softness."
• Lisa Congdon’s Sailboat Framed Art "A collaboration with San Francisco-based artist Lisa Congdon's illustrations and hand lettered quotes. When I saw this nautical-inspired quote of courage, I knew it would be the perfect addition to our growing art collection."