Allow us to introduce a new way to roll. The concept is simple. Pick an easily accessible neighborhood (ideally near a bus line), and embark on a walking tour of its bars and taverns. Start out at a place where it’s safe to eat and the drinks have more than two ingredients. For your next three destinations, progressively step down in price, quality, and atmosphere until you end up someplace you’ve never been. Starting in June, look for Stumble Zone every month in the Eat & Drink section.
1. Sapphire Hotel (5008 SE Hawthorne Blvd) The avocado dip, sun-dried-tomato pizza, and champagne cocktails epitomize civilized carousing.
2. Mt Tabor Pub (4811 SE Hawthorne Blvd) Two bars, dueling attractions: a comedian impersonating Gilbert Gottfried, or a timid reggae band fronted by three very white teenagers.
3. The Space Room Lounge (4800 SE Hawthorne Blvd) Outer-space trappings, strong drinks, and the ghostly aroma of cigarettes.
4. Angelo’s (4620 SE Hawthorne Blvd) Earthy tavern, glowering punks, nightcap of PBR.
5. The No. 14 Hawthorne bus home.
For more bar info, read John Chandler’s blog, Bar Pilot