Aviary to Host First Vegetarian Dinner in January
Want to eat more veggies in 2015? Chefs Sarah Pliner, Kat Whitehead, and Jasper Shen want to help you out with a 7-course vegetarian feast.
Sure, Aviary's best known dishes may include crispy pig ear and oxtails, but the chefs of NE Alberta Street's Asian destination give vegetables their due every night, with eclectically-inspired creations like tempura green beans with green curry and chanterelle ravioli with quince and celery root to Japanese eggplant with tomato miso, aji amarillo, and dill.
Hoping to show off their veg skills, Sarah Pliner, Jasper Shen, and Kat Whitehead are planning a 7-course vegetarian dinner on January 15 for $45. The whole restaurant will be transformed into a vegetarian haven, and we have a preview of the menu:
- Leek soup with crispy shallots
- Silken tofu with sweet hot bean paste, scallions, cantaloupe, sesame, peanuts, and lime
- Warm vegetable salad with romanesco, pumpkin, Brussels sprouts, lime pickle vinaigrette, and black garlic
- Chawanmushi with egg custard, snap peas, and wood ear mushrooms
- Chanterelle ravioli with quince, celery root, smoked tapioca, herb jus, and crispy sage
- Vegetable charlotte with caramelized onions, butternut squash, black garlic, egg yolk, and fennel
- Dessert, TBA from pastry chef Kat Whitehead (all we can say is we know it's going to be delicious—Whitehead has been running R&D for Salt & Straw since April 2013)
Yep, not a pig ear in sight. To reserve your spot, give the restaurant a call at 503-287-2400.
1733 NE Alberta St.