5 Reasons Why Cedar is the Best Option for Portland Decks in 2023!
Why Port Orford Cedar?
Port Orford Cedar, also known as white or Oregon cedar, is grown in southern Oregon and milled locally near Roseburg. Ricks Custom Fencing & Decking is proud to be the only local supplier that sells and installs this wood species in the Portland area.
Customers love this Pacific Northwest wood for a variety of reasons.
1. Durability: Port Orford Cedar is incredibly durable and has proven to be 40% stronger than Redwood or Western Cedar in impact bending. It’s 30% stronger than Redwood or Western Red Cedar in crushing strength. Even in Oregon’s rainy climate, Port Orford Cedar is extremely moisture resistant and with a distinct ginger aroma, it helps resist decay, pests, and rot.
2. Versatility: Whether you live in a new construction home that has all of today’s modern touches, or you live in a classic Craftsman that boasts decades of Portland history, Port Orford Cedar fits into virtually every design style. Because the wood itself is naturally a light blond color, it can be stained to match your specific style preference. Keeping it at its natural beautiful consistent gold tone is also a popular option. Keep in mind that as the deck ages and is exposed to the elements, the color will change over time to be a lovely silver patina.
3. Easy maintenance: With a simple oil-based stain that has UV protectant and mildew resistance included, you can keep your deck’s color vibrant and protected. With regular staining, you can maximize the life of your deck and ensure it stays beautiful for years to come. In addition to staining, you’ll need to sweep periodically to make sure dirt and debris don’t build up on it, and move deck furniture occasionally, so it won’t discolor.
4. Longevity: If cared for properly, a Port Orford Cedar deck can last for 25 years or more, longer than many other cedar species on the market today.
5. Affordability: Through March 31, 2023, Rick’s Custom Fencing & Decking is selling this magnificent locally-grown wood at $2.76 per linear foot. This price is hard to beat, and our limited product inventory will sell fast.
Ready to support local and get your deck project started?
Rick’s Fencing, founded in 1980, is a local, family-owned and operated company with five locations across Portland and the Tri Cities areas. We love working with local wood products and have specialized in Port Orford Cedar installation for clients around the Northwest for more than two decades. That gives us the knowledge and expertise that you can trust for your deck project.
Questions? Schedule your free design consultation today or call your nearest Rick’s Fencing & Decking location.