AFTER EIGHT MONTHS OF STARING LONGINGLY OUT OF OUR rain-streaked windows, it’s time to head for the hills—or the forests, or the mountains, or the wild, sandy beaches. But the Northwest’s abundance and variety of landscapes makes choosing between destinations a bit daunting. Our recommendation?
Total immersion: spend a weekend camping at each. To that end, we’ve picked the prime places to pitch your tent or strap on your pack this summer, all within three hours of Portland. And for those of you with a particularly virulent strain of cabin fever, we’ve presented a few far-off spots where you can easily get a week’s worth of cure. Happy healing.
- Car Camping: can’t-miss spots to escape the city comfortably.
- Back Packing: endorphin-filled adventures on two feet.
- Long Haul: camping and backpacking that’s worth the extra drive time.
- Gear Guide: the essential Oregon camping kit.
- What It Takes: three harrowing tales of wilderness survival thanks to quick, calm thinking in moments of peril.
- Fear Factor: what to do when you find yourself in one of three possible outdoor emergencies.