Cheese & Crack Snack Shop's Loaded Cheese Plate
Welcome back to Anatomy of A Dish, our series dedicated to dissecting Portland’s most delicious, multi-layered creations. This week, it's all about the cheese plate.
Former Hawthorne neighborhood food cart Cheese & Crack is all grown up—and it's still just as addictive. Snack Shop, the cart's new brick-and-mortar incarnation off of East Burnside, is part cheese eatery, part beer and wine hub, and all delicious, thanks to co-owners Nathan Hall and William Steuernagel's obsessive attention to detail.
One menu stalwart has already caught our attention—the signature Cheese & Crack plate, served on stainless steel trays with individual measuring spoons cradling varying spreads and toppings:
1. Cana de Oveja, soft-ripened sheep’s milk cheese made from Murcia, a region of Spain known for its goat cheese. This particular cheese is likened to the French Bucheron, notably buttery and gooey under the rind—it pairs well with the honey glazed peaches.
2. Named for its tender white rind, Cascadia Creamery's Cloud Cap is a Caerphilly-style raw cow's milk cheese layered around a firm center.
3. Castelvetrano olives from Sicily boast delicious meaty flesh with a balanced salinity. They are served alongside Cornichons, tart French gherkins.
4. Honey-glazed peaches, made from sun dried peaches for extra depth and sweetness.
5. Made with Parmesan, rosemary, olive oil, and pepper, these House Savory Oatmeal Cookies are browned to bring out the nutty notes of Parmesan.
6. House Butter Crackers are made on-site and, when they’re baking, are known to tempt the flexible folks at the pilates studio next door.
7. Alps Provision Company's Spicy Coppa is cured with crushed red pepper, garlic, and wine.
8. Raw, semi-unfiltered, and full of pollen from Northwest bees, this wildflower honey comes direct from My Local Honey.
9. Dijon, for a bit of tang.
10. House Chocolate Ganache with sea salt is a perfect palate cleanser, made with dark chocolate from Germany’s Kakao Berlin.
Cheese & Crack Snack Shop
22 SE 28th Ave.