Disclaimer: In light of recent events, Burger Bracket 2020 has been indefinitely postponed.
It’s true, you know: voting really does matter. From policing practices to climate change strategies to pandemic responses, we’ve had plenty of reminders lately of the stakes in local and national elections. Do you long to weigh in on something a little less crucial, but still meaty, juicy, and hefty? Well, you don’t have to wait for the May primary to do it. This month, Portland Monthly is asking our fair city the most pertinent of questions: who really makes the best burger in Portland? And it's up to you to decide.
We've created 32 March Madness–style matchups, with beloved west-side burger joints and irreplaceable east-side institutions. March 16–21, readers can vote on matchups. The winner will be announced later this month. Voting is simple: just head on down this article to our East and West brackets and click for your favorite in each pairing (one vote per matchup).
A bracket can hold only so many, and we’ve surely missed some old favorites and hidden gems? Don’t see your favorite burger? Email [email protected] and let us know your pick, so it can be considered for next time.
- Round 1: Monday, March 16—voting ends Monday night at midnight Pacific time
- Round 2: Tuesday, March 17—voting ends Tuesday night at midnight
- Round 3 (Sweet Sixteen): Wednesday, March 18—voting ends Wednesday night at midnight
- Round 4 (Elite Eight): Thursday, March 19—voting ends Thursday night at midnight
- Round 5 (Semis): Friday, March 20—voting ends Friday night at midnight
- Round 6: East vs. West Final: Saturday, March 21—voting is open for two days and ends Sunday night at midnight Pacific time
Easy enough, right? Well, to sweeten the deal we've added prizes. Just for voting you could win a free pair of Danner Boots (approximately $400 value) $75 gift certificates to Craft pdx, Red Star Tavern, and Bacchus Bar, and $50 gift certificates to Doug Fir Lounge and Elephant’s Delicatessen.
To be entered in our sweepstakes simply vote in our Burger Bracket and you'll be asked to enter your email. Winners will be randomly selected through the pool of emails, and will be announced the week of March 23.
Portland Monthly Burger Bracket 2020 is sponsored by: