It's the same every year: summer fades into fall, clouds gather, temperatures drop, daylight hours shrink, and outdoor exercise becomes considerably less appealing. Luckily for us fair-weather folk, studios and retails stores throughout the city have begun offering public fitness classes, ranging from pilates to power yoga.
These complimentary classes will keep you active (and warm!) all season long without straining your budget:
- The athletic apparel store, PrAna, provides a surprisingly large number of complimentary classes to accompany their attire. Every Saturday in October, Vinyasa Yoga is taught at 8:45 am and Power Vinyasa yoga takes place at 9:45 am on Sundays. They also offer a myriad of other free classes during the month including Yin Mediation, Barre3, Qigong, and living yoga. 635 NW 23rd Avenue; 971-244-0995
- Southeast yoga studio The Bhaktishop offers a free (or donate-what-you-can) yoga foundations class at 4:00 pm on Fridays. If you are looking for something a little more challenging, they have Vinyasa 2 classes Mondays-Fridays for only $5. 2500 SE 26th Ave; 503-244-0108;
- Athleta offers a free yoga class at its retail store in the Pearl District at 9:30 am on Sundays throughout October. 1001 NW Couch St.; 530-227-0067
- Yoga Union strives to offer many classes that everyone can attend regardless of budget, including free group meditation classes on Wednesdays and Thursdays at 8:15 am. The studio also offers free yoga classes on Tuesdays at 2 pm and Saturdays at 12:30 pm throughout October. 2043 SE 50th Ave.; 503-235-9642
- Portland State University and the Confucius Institute offer free Tai Chi classes around downtown. Tai Chi is a calming martial art that is suitable for all body types and activity levels. These classes are offered at multiple times during the weekdays and at 11 am on Saturdays. Visit the website to find the various locations!
- For those who are less yoga-prone, Team Quest MMA offers an array of mixed marshal arts such as jiu-Jitsu, wrestling, kickboxing, fitquest, submission wrestling, and boxing. Though Team Quest does not offer regularly scheduled free classes, they do offer your first months membership for free! 18206 SE Stark St.; 503-661-4134
If you are really feeling ambitious, try walking, running or biking to any of these free activities! How do you stay active on a budget? Found any fab fitness classes we've missed? Drop us a line in the comments!