Laying poolside, short shorts and swimsuits, pina coladas in hand—summer is officially upon us. Though we may start dreaming about our erstwhile drizzly climate when the first heat wave hits, Portlanders are passionate about soaking up the few short summer months of vitamin D. Whether enjoying happy hour outside on a patio, adventuring to an exotic destination, picnicking in park, or splashing in the waves of the Oregon coast—we love to be outside. Although some of us like to be more bronzed than others, it is important to remember to protect our skin through the scorching summer months. Here, Portland skin care pros share summer skincare tips and tricks.
1. Stay Hydrated: Drinking water during the summer months will not only help you avoid the symptoms of dehydration—from dizziness to dry mouth—it also helps keep your skin feeling fresh. “The drier the weather gets, the drier our skin might get, and if the skin is dry it ages faster. So keeping yourself hydrated will help fine lines and aging slow down,” says Kariman Vitzke of Kariman’s Skin Care
2. Use a Serum: There are a few key skincare products that you should invest in, and one is a serum. Skincare serums usually come in a gel form and have a higher concentration of active ingredients that can penetrate the skin deeper than a moisturizer, all while giving skin extra hydration. “Vitamin C Serum is my secret for summer skin. Layered under your SPF it gives your skin's immune cells help in mitigating the effects of the sun.” says Marywynn Ryan of Skin by Marywynn. “Summer is a great time to apply a hydrating serum under your moisturizer," adds Marna Herrington of Rich Earth Organic Skin Care Studio. "Good hydrating serums are water-rich and contain ingredients that draw moisture into your skin. It can also help your skin drink in your moisturizer more effectively—you may even find you need to apply less of your moisturizer for your skin to be fully replenished."
3. Wear Sunscreen: When picking a sunscreen look for broad spectrum UVA/UVB, one that is water resistant, has a high SPF, and apply it often. “Summer protection is crucial in preventing environmental aging and slowing the visible signs of sun-damage like hyper-pigmentation, aka dark spots," says Marywynn Ryan.
4. Keep Skin Moisturized: Apply moisturizer multiple times a day, and find one that is light and soaks in quickly so that you don’t find yourself in a sticky situation. “Skin that is full hydrated with a water-rich serum and fully moisturized(with an oil-based moisturizer will be less prone to showing fine lines, as well as less prone to becoming imbalanced with excessive oiliness or dryness,” says Marna Herrington.
5. Gentle Cleansing is Vital: “Gentle and effective cleansing is particularly important during the summer. Heat, oil production, and sun products need to be thoroughly removed to keep skin healthy and clog free,” says Patty Matheny of Facing Grace Skincare.
6. Support Skin by Eating Antioxidant Foods: “Everything you can do to support your skin in mitigating sun damage is great. Think eating antioxidant-rich summer berries, fruits, dark leafy greens, and vegetables, drinking antioxidant-rich green, white, and herbal teas, and using skin care products that are antioxidant-rich as well,” says Marna Herrington.
7. Sun Coverage//Floppy Hats: Although the scorching temperatures may persuade us to shed the layers, covering up is crucial to blocking the suns rays. A great floppy hat is a chic way to add an extra step of protection. “I can not stress enough the importance of sun protection, from hats to solar clothing! So many of my clients come in to see me because of aging concerns," explains Patty Matheny. "These include rosacea, pigmentation, wrinkles, and overall firmness. Rather than spending money on ridiculously overpriced products, why not stop this at its source? And the source is sun exposure.”