Grilled Rhubarb-Strawberry Crumble with Crème Fraîche
2 tbsp water
2 cups rhubarb, roughly chopped into 1/2-inch pieces
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 star anise
1 cinnamon stick
3 cups strawberries, halved
1/2 cup quick-cook rolled oats
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup chilled butter, plus 1 tbsp (for buttering the pan)
3/4 cup hazelnuts, pecans or almonds, finely chopped
Crème fraîche (optional)
1. Place 2 tbsp water along with the rhubarb, sugar, star anise and cinnamon stick in a saucepan and cook over medium heat until the rhubarb is soft, about 8 minutes. Remove the mixture from heat and discard anise and cinnamon.
2. Gently fold in the strawberries.
3. In a food processor, pulse the oats, sugars and flour together for a few seconds.
4. Cut the cold butter into ½-inch pieces and add a few pieces to the mixture. Pulse 3-4 times. Continue process until all the butter has been added and a coarse mixture has formed. Add the nuts and pulse 5-6 more times.
5. Coat the bottom and sides of an 8″×8″ metal baking dish with 1 tbsp butter.
6. Place the fruit mixture into the buttered baking dish and top with the crumble. Place on a hot grill for 15-20 minutes or until topping is set, and strawberry and rhubarb mixture is bubbling.
7. Scoop the crumble into individual bowls and top each with a dollop of crème fraîche if you like.