Grilled Flank Steak-Wrapped Asparagus Over Field Greens
In preparation for the main dish, you may want to start another round of coals in a charcoal chimney.
Juice of 1 lemon
1 preserved lemon, minced
12-15 sprigs thyme, leaves picked and finely chopped
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil, plus olive oil for dressing the greens
1 bunch asparagus (about 15-20 spears), trimmed of the woody root ends and peeled 2/3 of the way to the tip
1 lb flank steak
8 oz greens (arugula, mizuna, baby spinach, etc.)
Lemon juice to taste
Salt and black pepper to taste
1. To prepare the marinade, whisk the lemon juice, preserved lemon and thyme with 1/2 cup olive oil in a bowl to form a light paste.? Liberally season with salt and pepper.?
2. On the bias, slice the flank steak into ?inch-thick pieces. Coil each piece of flank around an asparagus spear, from bottom to top, covering the entire stalk (except for the tips) with the strip of meat.
3. Place the flank steak-wrapped asparagus into a container and pour half the prepared marinade over top, making sure the spears are coated evenly. Let sit for 2 to 8 hours.
4. Once your coals have reached a medium-hot temperature, wipe excess marinade from the asparagus and place on the grill. Cook about 5 minutes, turning the asparagus occasionally, and remove once the meat and asparagus are just cooked through.
5. Re-dress the asparagus and flank steak with the remaining marinade.
6. Dress the greens with a drizzle of lemon juice and olive oil to taste. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
7. Place greens on a platter, then set wrapped asparagus on top.