Diving Into Wafu’s Roasted Crab Hand Roll
Welcome back to Anatomy of a Dish, our weekly dissection of Portland’s most delicious, multi-layered creations. This week we dive deep into Wafu’s Roasted Crab Hand Roll. Newly appointed chef Daniel Mondok (formerly of Paulee) crafts these habit-forming rolls using local sweet crab, super creamy, fish sauce-spiked mayonnaise and briny pops of flying fish roe all packed in a translucent bundle.
1. Oregon Red Rock Crab: Two thick crab legs, stuffed alongside strands of crabmeat, slathered in Mondok’s magical fish-sauce mayonnaise and baked in a super hot oven until a crust forms.
2. “Nuoc Cham” Mayonnaise: Sweet and creamy Japanese-style Kewpie mayonnaise is folded in with a Southeast Asian blend of fish sauce, lime juice, and sambal chile paste.
3. Tobiko: Flying fish roe infused with citrusy yuzu, stained pale orange and popping with oceanic brine.
4. Tamanishiki Rice: A prestigious brand of Japanese short grain rice. Plump, pearly white, and naturally sweet.
5. Soy Paper: A silky gluten-free wrapper sprinkled with black and white sesame seeds, rolled tight.
6. Flowers and Scallions: Green scallion ribbons with farm-fresh rapini and sculpit buds, adding color and subtle floral hints.
3113 SE Division St
Tue-Thurs and Sunday, 5-10 pm