Fashion’s Night Out
Fashion’s Night Out is one more thing we can thank Anna Wintour for. Three years ago in the deepest depths of the recession the fearless fashion editor and her little magazine called Vogue, worked together with the city of New York to establish a massive retail driven night. It’s not about sales; it’s about the excitement of new amazing things and exciting events.
Our own Fashion’s Night Out (happening TODAY) is in its second year of fun. Before you drop the word copycat, you should know we are an actual Vogue approved city thanks to Portland Business Alliance leader Lisa Frisch. She ran out and applied for our city to be part of the mayhem the second it was possible and now we’re in full swing.
For this year’s style party an assortment of downtown stores, both local and big guys, have a lot of options for your night. The main fun is located in Director’s Park (outside the Fox Tower theater) where fashion shows run every 30 min from 5-7pm. And a special grand finale of the first runway preview of "The Portland Collection" by Pendleton at 8 p.m. Plus free pedicab rides, DJ Mr. MuMu; a huge awesome raffle benefiting New Avenues for Youth and downtown goodie bags with $150 purchase from participating FNO stores. Those little goodie bags are better than the average fair with Amex gift cards ranging from $25 – $500 plus L’Occitane samples, gift cards for Ben Bridge Parfum, free mini facials, Aveda samples and discounts on Pendleton!
To see the full list of events and stores participating you can check out the Downtown Portland web site. In the meantime, here are Shop Talk’s top picks:
• Project Runway star Mondo Guerra is in the house! Macy’s says you can learn Mondo’s fashion do’s and don’ts and top style tips. (With your $35 purchase the day of the event, meet Mondo and get his autograph. One per customer, while supplies last. Event subject to change or cancellation.)
• Did somebody say after party?! Attend the official after-party for Pendleton’s presentation of "The Portland Collection" and be the first to shop the new line. Light refreshments; store open until 10 p.m.
• Enjoy light refreshments while live Parkour performers get down from 6-9pm and the launch of the new CITY Collection: downtown styles with an outdoor soul.
• View a trunk show featuring L.A.-based designer Ani Lee, carried exclusively by House of Lolo. Light refreshments and live music from 6-9 p.m.
• View the new fall line and hear a live soul band at 8 p.m. Light refreshments served from 6-10 p.m.
Portland Design Collective
• Join us for a fall trunk show featuring new designs by Jennifer Faust and Sarah Livingstone, along with music and light refreshments.
• View new lines of clothing and candles from co-owners Celestial Sipes and Gina J. Morris and jewelry from Sword + Fern. Meet the designers and enjoy live music and refreshments from 6-9 p.m.
Under U4 Men
• Join them at 7 p.m. for a fashion show in historic Morgan’s Alley, featuring Under U4 Men, Core Men’s Shop, Jane’s Vanity and Pinkham Millinery. Light refreshments from Oregon Wines on Broadway.